Last Sunday I decided to put together a naughty fried breakfast from ingredients that I had in my freezer (a slice of haggis) and fridge (bacon and eggs). Not an every-day breakfast but delicious!
If you like haggis (which I do, naturally, otherwise it wouldn’t appear here) the only way you would most likely get it south of the Scottish border was in preparation for Burns Night (25th January) and in the traditional style of a rather large haggis – one to feed three or four people. That has all changed now because the canny haggis makers of Edinburgh, MacSween, have, for a while now, produced MacSween haggis-in-a-hurry which are two slices of haggis cleverly vacuum packed to be microwaved. And here is a handy tip. If you only want one portion, carefully cut the package in two with kitchen scissors – ensuring that both pockets remain sealed – then pop the one slice, not required, into the freezer for another time.
Vegetarian readers don’t despair! You can enjoy this dish too because MacSween make a vegetarian haggis as well as the traditional haggis. All you need do is swap the traditional for the vegetarian haggis and dump the bacon – simples!
Here in the UK you can buy MacSweens haggis in Sainsbury, Morrisons, Asda and Waitrose
What you’ll need for two is:
- 2 slices of white bread (brown is healthier, white is naughtiest and therefore more delicious!)
- Sunflower/vegetable oil for frying
- 1 pack of MacSween haggis in-a-hurry
- 4 rashers of bacon (I like smoked bacon)
- 2 eggs (if you have duck eggs even better!)
- Chopped chives – optional
What you’ll need to do:
- Heat a large frying pan, or if you have one, a large griddle pan and pour some oil into it. Fry the slices of bread until golden brown on both sides and keep warm.
- In another frying pan fry the bacon – or grill if you prefer.
- Transfer the bacon to a warm dish or plate, add more oil and fry your eggs. This way you’ll save on frying pans but if you have a devil-may-care attitude and own a brigade of frying pans, well, use a third!
- Remove the cardboard sleeve of the haggis and place package in the microwave and cook according to the timings on the packet
- Assemble breakfast with, first, the slice of fried bread, then the rashers of bacon, then a slice of haggis and top it with a fried egg.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives if you wish.